Friday 15 May 2009

Back from Mull.....



We returned on Sunday, but I haven`t had chance to blog until now.
We had such a magical time, the weather was truly miserable, but I guess you dont go to Scotland for the weather :)
We stayed in a static caravan.... which I was a little unsure of - I`d never stayed in a caravan before, but this caravan overlooked the sea eagle nest site at Loch frisa, so I guess I`d give it a go.

www.crannich.co.uk - this is where we stayed. We stayed in one of the three caravans on the site - 'Aros' which overlooks the nest site. I would advise you stay in Bellart as it overlooks the area where the sea eagles land (on the 'Standing Stones' at Tenga) when they are hunting for food. We`ll stay in this one next time :)
We couldn`t ask for a nicer, cleaner, friendlier place to stay. Sam and Rob the owners were lovely - the caravans are part of a working highland cattle farm, set in 100 acres of land. The calving pen was right by the gate, so every time you went out or came back in a soggy slimey furry gorgeous baby calf had arrived.
They asked me to have a look at one of their new calves eyes when they found out I was a veterinary nurse. Poor little thing had cataracts and was quite weak, but still feeding from his mother. Must find out if he is still with us.....

Rain rain and more rain, oooh and lots of hail. I swear the caravan was going to re-enact the scene out of the Wizard of Oz when the house gets sucked up in the whirlwind!!! We went to Tobermory Distillery where we had a wee dram of Whiskey. God that stuff is strong!! Wow!

On the Thursday (the best day weather-wise) we went out with Richard Atkinson of www.wildlifemull.co.uk - a thoroughly nice bloke with a passion for wildlife.
We saw sea-eagles, harriers, golden eagles, otters, buzzards, even a 'twite' hahaha!

I`ve uploaded a few pics to my flickr account if you fancied a peek.

2 comments:

Eve Smith said...

Found your blog at last, glad you liked scotland, there is some stunning places to go here, it would be better if the weather was more reliable, plus i did'nt know you are a vet, do you still do this job or is it just beads you do now?
Eve,x

Beads by Clare Scott said...

Hi Eve,

You found me! Brill, I`m not great at blogging tho :)

It was my 3rd time on Mull - I just love it. I think it is my favourite place in the world - apart from my bed! :)I would miss the magpies - they don`t have any over there. Scotland is so amazing. The scenery is so dramatic which supports the fantastic wildlife.

I`m a vet nurse, not a vet (don`t have the brains... even if I did I wouldn`t want to be a vet, FAR too stressful!) I was a vet nurse for years, qualified in 2002, worked in practise, went self-employed and did some locuming around the country which was fab. Realised I wasn`t allowed to care for the animals properly as the was always cleaning to be done. The animals just didn`t seem to take first place. So I came out of it.

I work for a health screening company now part time as an events co-ordinator, which is great as I can fit the beads around it.

Is it sunny where you are? It`s gorgeous here :) xx